Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

reinstalled

IS-IT--Management
Feb 18, 2003
Hi,

Just need to know what you all think the best way to about this is. Thanks in advance.

I need to create a slice on a disk that has unallocated space. So I want to move off the data in a mounted slice, re-size that slice, move data back in, and re-mount. I need to maintain permissions and structure as well.

I was thinking either tar or just using ufsdump.
What do you think?

Thanks,

As long as you are going back to UFS afterward, ufsdump is the simplest, bar none.

Other than that, using cpio with the appropriate options will do a better job than tar, as it will preserve hard links as well. Preceed that with dumping ACLs any you're good to go.

Since you are backing up an entire partition, ufsdump is the way to go...

OK,

I used ufs dump for a lvl 0 dump of the entire fs to a file rather than tape.

Now "ufsrestore rfv /home2/dump" from the root of the directory I want to restore to gives me the following.

Verify volume and initialize maps
Media block size is 126
Dump date: Thu Oct 25 16:10:57 2007
Dumped from: the epoch
Level 0 dump of /home on xxx:/dev/dsk/cxtxdxsx
Label: none
This is not volume 1 of the dump

Anything I'm missing?

Don't know if you got this done yet, but try the following:
Code:
ufsrestore rvf /home/dump

(swap the v and f)

If you have one file, (ie: "tape" volume,) that will work fine.

Alternatively, if you have both volumes mounted at the same time, you can do:

Code:
cd /sourcefs/
ufsdump 0f - / | ( cd /destfs/ ;ufsrestore xvf - )

to copy your filesystem without creating that intermediate file.

The pipe trick works with tar and cpio too. It's to the point that cpio-pipe-cpio is the only tool I use to split a filesystem out to other devices.

Cheers!

Thanks for the input.

I still get the same message that this is not volume 1.
When I look I only see one file. So the location of the dump file is on a mounted slice as well as the location I want to restore to. Does having both mounted make a difference with ufsrestore?

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back