Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice - Self learning / Certification 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ButlerONE

IS-IT--Management
Jul 30, 2008
Would really appreciate some solid advice....
I'm a practising project management in the Software & Web applications market. My boss wants our business to follow a more structured approach to Project Manangement (PM) and requested we adopt a certified methodology. Also he wants to undertsand the quickest and cheapest routes to acheive this, which is all fine, but I also need to understand the best way.

Prince2 seems to be the most refered to of these, but I also hear about AMP, PMP and Six Sigma. Can you recommend which is the best option to take in terms of the market that I'm in and the certification which best helps in terms of future career opportunities in the same and other markets. What's most tranferable?

As I starter for TEN - what books or other information sources would you recommend that will help me best get an introduction to PM and Prince2, and others? Are the XYZ for dummies helpful as a good start point or are there better options available?

Don't know AMP.

PMP is more traditional project management approach.

6Sigma is process engineering & restructuring. You would use PMP principles to manage a 6Sigma project.

Dummies books are well written and give you quick insight.

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
ProfitDeveloper.com

The PMP certification from Project Management Institute is generally recognized as the golden certification in this field.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

Mainly PRINCE2 is famous in the UK in particular and Europe ion General. PMP has a much higher profile everywhere elsewhere.

I don't think that 6 sigma is in the same category as PMP and PRINCE2.

For your convenience, here's a collection of PMP Articles and PRINCE2 articles.

- The Project Management Hut

i havent encountered other certifications but Prince @ it's fast to learn and the approach is comprehensive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back