Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice required on filesystem design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yanny

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2001
GB
I have been tasked with rationalising and tidying the common area (NTFS shared area which everybody uses) for the company I work for. I have done this before for another company I worked for on a much larger scale but wanted other opinions on their experiences of doing this.

Basically I spilt the previous companies shared area off into dept areas and then beneath each dept area was a private and shared area. The people in each dept had RWXD to both folders under thier own dept area, but they only have RX to other dept shared areas (no access to private). This was all controlled using global groups. Are you following me? This was Ok but caused problems, such as users who floated between departments and needed access to more than one, and departments who wanted separate secure areas beneath their private or shared areas. This meant there we a LOT of global groups!

What are your opinions on this subject?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back