Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice, please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ofelia Chaires

Programmer
Jun 10, 2020
IN
Hello everyone,
I have been using my printer regularly until a week ago. Yesterday, when I switched on, no light or sound was coming from it. Then, I removed all the plugs, and after 15 minutes, I plugged everything again. But still, it's not working. It is absolutely dead, and no sound is coming from the printer. I have never had any problems with this printer before. I think it needs to get replaced with a new one.
I thought of purchasing a multifunction laser printer for my office in Toronto.
Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?

Is there another on-off switch round the back that has been accidentally switched off?

This happened to me with a modem - I didn't know it had a switch. I thought it was dead, bought a new one. Three years after the event, I was going to bin it when I found it had an unmarked on/off switch that my wife accidentally pressed when cleaning the dust off.

If you have to replace it, I've had good results with Brother multi-function lasers for a number of my customers. The color lasers aren't cheap, but it seems to be a good product for business and you're not chasing ink cartridges all the time.

I know it may not work for everybody, but do you really need a printer?
Several years ago, I decided to go paper-less and never went back. There has never been a case where I needed a piece of paper with stuff printed on it. And as I think of all the pages that others print – what happens with all that paper? Mostly it lands in a recycle bin or garbage. Some of it ends up in a folder somewhere that in 99% of time nobody will ever look at it.

Like I said - it may not be for everybody, but consider using ‘recyclable electrons’ instead. [bigsmile]

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

Andrzejek, while I mostly agree, there are a lot of people that can't go paperless. Our printer even has a FAX, which seems like an anachronism to me.

My wife's business required physically signed papers to be filed with various agencies. None of that has been moved to any kind of digital process. Also, most government and health care institutions seem to still rely on FAX for sending information instead of a scan and an email. Due to the field my wife works in, she both prints and FAXes a lot of paper.

My wife also prints recipes because that's easier to use in the kitchen. Have you ever tried to scroll a tablet up or down with your hands covered in dough? [bigsmile]

I like to use brick and mortar stores when I can, and very often I'll print out a good price I find online and go to a store to see if they can match it. If I just say I found a better price online, it's harder to prove it and they usually just roll their eyes and blow it off.

Also, my Dad (in his late 80's) is on the Internet and has email, but when he sees a website he thinks I'd like to see, he prints it out, puts it in an envelope with a stamp and my address, and mails it to me. No amount of coaching has changed that, and it has gotten to the point where I love getting those print-outs with notes and comments written in longhand on the back.

So our printer gets a lot of use and it seems to be a positive thing for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back