Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice on Upgrading from CE 10.X to Endpoint Protection 11.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottWIT

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2007
US
Has anyone here been through this upgrade yet? I guess I assumed it wasn't too bad until I started reading through the documentation and see that there are all kinds of things that need to be done to the Symantec System Console before you can even get to the actual install. Is the documentation accurate and has anyone run into a particular issue that I should be aware of?

I started from scratch rather than upgrade--it was a lot less work, and I had the opportunity to use a subset of my machines to test with first.

The only caveat was that I installed SEPM on a different server, and had to remove SSC from my management machine.

I would recommend going in this direction if you have the resources available to.

ok.... i see what you're saying. i agree that i would be well served to do a fresh install because i can test before rolling it out. if i do that then would i simultaneously install the new EP clients and uninstall the old 10.x clients as i go along? obviously i want to be sure nobody has a gap in virus protection. how exactly did you go about rolling it out?

The good news about SEP11 is that the client rollout seems to work a lot better this time around (I had numerous problems in the past upgrading from NAVCE 7.6 -> SAVCE 8.0, 9.0, 10.0, 10.1, etc, while all upgrades to SEP11 have gone smoothly.)

I built out a new management server, and for my pilot, used the "find unmanaged computers" on the Clients tab to push the software out to half a dozen machines. When the time came to go into production, I used the rollout tool on CD2 to push out the software to every machine on the network.

Ok, thanx for the info.

Do I need to uninstall the 10.x software from the clients first before pushing out the SEP11 software to them?

No, when you push the software out they will upgrade from sav10, 9, or 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back