Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice on Training Organisations

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalmaster

IS-IT--Management
Oct 15, 2002
GB
I have a good friend who has just got his degree and is struggling to get a job in IT support where he thinks he would like to be, mainly due to lack of experience.

He is thinking of spending money on a course with "Just IT" in London...does anyone know of this organisation, good or bad. The course is going to cost around £6,000.

Any comments gratefully received.

MR

As far as I can make out it is the A+ suite of exams plus the guarantee of a job at the end of the course or your money back.

I am slightly sceptical because the jobs they are offering seem to be in the £16,000 region which considering they are in the center of London does not look that attractive, after deduction of train fares from Kent for the year.

Thanks for the interest

MR

I work in the same road as these guys, I will walk into their office tomorrow and see what I think (assuming they work in Artillary Lane??)

If they are only giving the A+ for 6k I would say definitely look else where.

I would suggest your friend looks at maybe going to India to carry out his training as it will be far cheaper.

Right, I have just come back from Just IT, I spent 30 minutes pretending that I was starting out in IT and have found out some answers for you.

Firstly the price of £6000 is wrong, I don't know where your friend got that from.

The Just IT course goes like this.

Their NPP (Network Professional Program) consists of a number of courses. The run time for this is 3 months and goes like this.

A+ Core Hardware (1 week)
Home Study (1 week)
A+ OS (1 week)
Home Study (1 week)
CCNA (1 week)
Home Study (1 week)
Home Study (1 week)
Windows XP Pro (1 week)
Home Study (1 week)
Linux+ (1 week)
Home Study (1 week)
Windows 2003 Server (1 week)
Home Study (1 week)
and a free 2 day MS Exchange Overview.

The job guarentee is for a job between 16k and 22k depending on your experience.

All in all I was quite impressed with them from a starters point of view, from the standpoint of a full time experienced engineer I don't think that this is any good.

If I am honest I would suggest your friend go down this route as it will give him a good understanding in basic networking.

Simon

Simon,

Thanks very much for your efforts, I will pass this on straight away. I probably felt the same way as yourself but your first hand experience (as an experienced engineer) is invaluable.

I was slightly concerned that it may be just another rip-off organisation from reading other forums, but I think the best advice is to pay by Credit Card just in case the firm folds up overnight.

Thanks once again Simon for your efforts.

Mark

Have a look at this company
I am new to the industry and spoke to a guy called Steve there - he gave me some great advice on what course I should be doing. Anything more than a A+/Net+ course is a waste of money. I went on the 7 day bootcamp for 1800 and walked away with the cert at the end of the course

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back