Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice on Surge Protection for Coaxial Cable Broadband. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBPFL

IS-IT--Management
Aug 21, 2002
US
I have an APC UPS for surge protection on my PC and all periphials for the AC/DC power but what about the RoadRunner Cable. I am still open to lightning damage via the coaxial cable which runs to the Cable Modem - Router - NIC. What can I use to protect my equipment from surge across Cable Broadband? Any weblinks would be helpful.

Hey, I'm glad this topic has come up. Recently my router and one network card were killed through coax cable. To be precise 3 ports on the router including LAN were dead. The earthlink cable modem (it used to be RR but I switched) is alive and well even though the surge have passed through it.

On one hand you can get a surge protector with a built-in coax protection. On the other hand if you already have an expensive SP then you may think screw the modem (most people rent it from the cable company) and protect my machine. In that case you can put a network cable protector between the modem and the router (or your PC):

Look at PNET1 from APC:

And all their protectnet line is useful, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back