Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice on Server Upgrade Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thet

Technical User
May 2, 2002
US
Need some expert advice...

We are replacing 3 old Compaq servers (NT 4.0 sp6) with a single Win 2K Server. The selection is down to Dell or Gateway. This is primarily a file server that also handles RAS connections (via Internet-no modems). Applications are rarely run from the server, but may run a single application (accounting) and possibly Excel on ocassion. Not heavily loaded with around 30 users. This will be the PDC. The OEM's have made their suggestions, but which OEM do you folks feel is the better for a server application?

Also, several workstations will be replaced. Would you recommend Windows 2000 or XP on the workstations? If you need more specifics, please ask.

Thank you in advance.

I personally go with Dell. I really like there service.

I see no compelling reason to goto XP, 2000 should last you a good long while.

tom,

Thanks for the reply.

I got a new Dell server, and it came with a bad network card, not to mention several other things I had to fix. This may have been a fluke, but when I buy something, I expect it to be tested before it's shipped. (Wasn't my decision to by dell, I personally own 3 gateways that have never given me any grief.) As to W2K or XP, the only way to go in my mind is W2K. That and W98 SE are the best OS's Microsoft came out with. They should quit trying to re-invent the wheel, and make whats good better. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"It is twice the pleasure to deceive the deceiver."
Jean de La Fontaine (1621-95); French poet.

I've had Ok service with Dell, but I recommend going Compaq. I've had excellent results with Compaq servers and the Director of Technology for a local college recommended them to me too.

FWIW,

Joe Brouillette

Hi Thet,

If you've narrowed your choices down to Dell and Gateway, go with Dell. They're more geared to business than Gateway. We've had nothing but great experiences with Dell on the business side and not so great on the personal side. And Gateway's been the opposite. Hmmmph...

That's my two cents worth.

Mapman Assume nothing, question everything, be explicit not implicit, and you'll always be covered.

I have a serveral smaller networks, most under 30 PC and 5 servers, they are ALL Dell. We made a corporate decision back in '96 (not to sell any more boxes ourselves) and for the $$ you cannot get a better box, including software, with anything like Dell's support. So far I had two wrong NIC and one bad floppy out-of-the-box, two HD failures in 8 years, and one laptop where the display cable had come loose in shipping. I had new parts hand delivered next-day from the service tech each time. Not bad for 100's machines over 6 years time.

I dealt with Gateway twice on two laptops and only once did the matter get resolved correctly (and I had to pay to send it, wait two weeks, and pay for the repair.) Get the Dell.

I also prefer Win2K, XP has too many silly "wizards" that prevent you from admin'ing them easily. They have hidden the configuration settings from the user and made life harder for you in the process.

My 0.02USD...

Alex

Thanks to all for your input. Glen, did the issues get resolved quickly?

Win2K it is.

Thet

It did, but only after I proved to the people we bought the server from. They, (and my boss), didn't believe a new server could be sold with a bad nic. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"It is twice the pleasure to deceive the deceiver."
Jean de La Fontaine (1621-95); French poet.

Glen,

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like your boss is, shall we say, less than literate with computers and electronics.

The final decision is not yet made, but the input is very much appreciated.

Thet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back