Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice on PBX tech's career path..

Status
Not open for further replies.

breakbuddy

Technical User
Mar 2, 2005
US
I've been an onsite tech for a 2 yr college in central Texas with 3 PBX's to take care of (scattered on average 50 miles apart) with approximately 1800+ users. I handle all of the MAC's, troubleshooting of telephones (from dial tone to jack), and handle our in-house internet connection (making sure that the ports are on, jack trouble, pc settings etc.).

I basically would like some advise from some of the older techs out there on what kind of startegy they can advise me on my career path. I've been a tech here for going on 5 years, and have had no significant raise of pay or title change. My official title is that of an assistant, but I am the only one here that can touch the PBX, they have sent me to training, on average once a year, but I still think that they can offer me more.

Thanks for the advise, if anything thanks for listening to my blow some steam,

-bb.

best bet is to get some schooling on the pbx of your choice, then pass certification test, cisco certification will help. i expect to see more voice over ip then tdm in the next 10 years. with certification in hand be prepared to move and start doing a job search. on todays market this switch is worth 30+ with full bennies, more if you contract. when i contract i charge 65 flat, 110 past 40 hours. not all the money in the world but my kids don't go hungry.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

nobody is old out here :)

you can try working for a distributor/ vendor - preferably the same one you buy/bought your PBXs from. that'll be a chance to learn new products/technology and maybe a pay rise as well

My kids think I lived the same time as dinasaurs..Their kids think the same thing.

If it may interest you, become the switch tech for a wireless company (cellular or wireless messaging) as those technologies are hot and will be for a few years yet. If you understanding switching...switches are switches. Add to it by helping out on their PBX's also. Get that Cisco certification to top it off and all the vendor schools the employer will pay for and you can get paid to play. Keep in touch with the change of the technologies you are involved in as much as possible as to everything there is a season.

Enjoy the ride!

Intresting topic. I started out pulling cable with the Mexican doing $8 an hr when I first came out of the Amry, doin 10 hr days. I made into the Union and Aquired my "M" card in less than two years. I had reached the Max pay rather quicky in the union and decided to go into the private sector, I worked for Vendor at first learning their tips and "TRICKS" and broading my knowlege af different switches. This only makes you more valuable. I've worked for some really underhanded companies that would dial into switches and create work. Finally I went into the private sector Brokerage houses mainly. Since I'm young enough I'm able to deal with the high demand high paced envoroment they demand. My point being your worth what you value yourself. Are you a person who can deal with the politics of the corporate sector, Emails, DIAGRAMS (FUNNY), and a suit, or are you a more being told "WHAT to do person. Its all up to you as an individual. My advice is do what makes you happy, expose yourself as much as possible to different technologies, and "GET CERTIFIED" Mr pooole is correct. Good Luck!! Oh another factor is your location, If your at sleepy town USA your not going to get what you want. Get to a Tier 1 or a Tier 2 city. Wish someone had told me this much when I started.

nobody is old out here :(

maybe not where your from, i don't know how to define old anymore. the 1st phone i put in had a crank on the side. i have grandkids who are ceritified switchman, and great grands that think i fought indians to get to school when i was young. wonder who told them that?.. have a few old black and whites of my rodeo days, guess that helps (btw some of do remember flags with 48 stars)

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

don't know about the suit and tie thing, mostly kids trying to be something there not. i have done 100K in blue jeans and told vp's, to get out of my switchroom. or fix it themselfs.. never had one take me up on it..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

at 20 yrs i say get out..pick a new career ...wish someone had told me that when i started..then again i ski 50 to 60 days a year and have alot of free time...maybe i am wrong..ok get cerified on nortel and cisco.and remember its not all about the money .DO NOT EVER SAY NO TO ANY JOB WITHIN YOUR SCOPE OF WORK...you will do fine

ski season has started

I'll first start by saying I'm not to to old :)but you may want to learn IP.VOIP is where things are headed. With that said stick with what makes you happy as luv2ski stated money isn't everything and time is precious.

just a thought!

-vz

good points one and all...

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

John's right about the suit and tie stuff. I have to wear that crap, not because I want to. But I'm just a real cleaned up looking switch tech. Haven't made quite 100k a year yet, but I expect that to be within my grasp next few years. If not I'll be on my way elsewhere.

Working for schools always seems to be a dead end career choice anyway.

At 18 I went to college, got a job as a student tech in the telecom department. Pulled cable, did minor MAC work, basic troubleshooting of stations, and pulled more cable - $6.40 / hour

Got my A.A.S. and went to work in the data networking field for two months in upstate NY - $10.00 / hour

Decided one day to move and get a new job. - $0.00 /hour

Two weeks later got a job offer as a cable jockey for a vendor - supposed to be $10.00 / hour

The day before I started I was informed that they had a technician opening at $16.50 / hour and a complimentary van.

2 years later had Nortel I&M and ITG certifications, got a raise - $17.50 / hour

A year after that I had to take a medical leave and move in with family. Went on disability. - worked out to be about $3.00 / hour for a year

Started looking for a job. Applied for technician jobs with major vendors. No one was biting.

3 months go by.

In a final desperate move, I apply for every job posting on Monster with Nortel and PBX in the description. Luckily for me this included an engineering position which sounded like you needed to have 800 years of experience and have designed your own phone switch. I ended up getting that job, as an engineer.

My boss saw that I knew the Nortel PBX, so he sent me to training on the Avaya. Got that done, now it's Cisco time. I'm doing something I love every day, getting paid WAY too much to ever consider leaving. I just turned 25 and I think I got very lucky.

My only advice is this: You know more than you think you know. There is a shortage of people who know as much as you. Apply for jobs that sound like they're above your level. You might just find a perfect match that you otherwise might not of considered.

Arch

today 30+ an hour is a decent target in a med size market. i have turned down 75 k, perfer the switchroom to a office. that would not be a pay raise with the ot this job requires. arch is right, get some time on the term and apply until you surprise yourself

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

If you have a sense of adventure and a security clearance for U.S., or a company can apply for a clearacne (nearly a year process depending on level) There are several government and contracting paths to take. Dept of State is always looking for NORTEL techs, starting pay looks skimpy but with benefits works out fairly well. After I got out of the Army I was looking for something that I would enjoy as much as I did my time in service. Starting pulling wire at $12.12/hr Then starting doing the contract thing for overseas, company liked my work and sent me to schools and have been doing switch installations for last 5 years. No complaints and I was living overseas and traveling so my pay was tax free, that's like getting a $15,000 bonus at the end of the year. Send me your regular email address and I can send you some better information on contract overseas work. It is not all garden spots, we did Bahgdad and Kabul last year and going back for 3 new sites this year.

FYI, email address's or not allowed on this site. the monitors will delete the post and/or remove suspend your account.. back to the point, with nortel and/or cisco cert, travel, money or advancement is all up to your desire.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back