Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice on Large Blackberry installation required

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2000
Hi,

We currently have about 80 blackberrys on Bes 3.6 and are going to increase this to about 300 on BES 4.

Does anyone have any experiance regarding large intsallations, I am particually concerned with the server hardware.

Our current server needs regular reboots therefore are we better to go down a clustered solution or maybe split the load across two servers etc.

The current server is a dual xeon with 2 Gb of ram HP DL380

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Styles

NT4/2000 MCSE

Spec sounds fine although this does depend on whether you have a local database or remote SQL database elsewhere on the LAN. If the latter, then the memory isn't an issue as there is less of a requirement. Having said that, 2Gb should be fine for either option. You also shouldn't have any other applications runnning on the server that hosts the BES as this can impact performance and potentially cause your BES to fail.

You don't mention why your server needs regular reboots. If this is not a policy set by your IT guys but more of a potential issue with the system then I would recommend you resolve that first before upgrading to BES 4.

Unless you have 2 SRP IDs then you wouldn't be able to have more than one instance of the BES running at any one time otherwise that your BES service will become disabled on the BBI and only RIM can enable it again. I don't 300 users on one BES 4 is uncommon. It is more a question of what you want to do about failover / DR. Many companies go for a 'warm server' whereby they have another installation of the BES offline so if the live server fails they can carryon with little disruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back