Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice on Internet connection issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AGP

Programmer
Sep 11, 2001
GB
Hi, I have built a vb6 application that automatically connects to the Internet during the night and delivers some e-mails. I am looking to distribute my program to a number of varied users and would very much appreciate some advice on some of the Internet connection issues.
To initiate the program to deliver the e-mails, I create a scheduled task on the end users pc, which is set to start at a set time every night. To force the pc to automatically connect to the Internet, during my programs initial install I modify the users 'EnableAutodial' property in their registry. I realise that modifing a user's registry is not something that should be taken lightly. However, I felt in this case it was unlikely to affect any other programs. However, I am not so sure of the best approach to disconnect from the Internet once the e-mails have been delivered. As far as I know their are three options:

1) Give end user instructions on how to enable the 'disconnect if idle' property in Internet Settings.
2) Modify the end users 'EnableAutodisconnect' and 'DisconnectIdleTime' properties in their registry.
3) Use vb code to disconnect from the Internet immediately once the e-mails have been delivered.

The first approach is probably the easiest, however this places an extra burden on the end user when initially installing the program.
The second method I think raises a number of issues that I am not even aware of, such as what other programs they are running and whether they are connected to a network.
The final approach, could cause problems if they were on a network!

I appologise for the length of this question, but I would appreciate any advice on a possible best solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back