Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice on implementing a domain \ AD in an established network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kooch

Technical User
Feb 20, 2002
CA
I've come into a new environment which needs a lot of work. Basically we have an office with our employees, a couple of file servers and our workstations. We are connected via a VPN tunnel to an offsite hosting facility that contains 75 Windows 2003 servers. The servers are broken up into one group per customer consisting of a few servers to host the webpages, a couple of media servers, a couple for reports and one to hold the database. The numbers vary depending on the size of the customer.

Now, these servers have never been on a domain. They are part of workgroups relating to whatever customer they are serving. Security is nonexistent; really only consisting of the firewall appliances at the entry to the office and satellite data center. I have been asked what would be involved in installing a DC and a DNS so we could start using tools to centrally manage the servers and save a lot of headaches.

I have set up new environments from scratch and deployed new servers in existing environments but I've never even considered moving a large group like this to a domain setup.

Does anyone have any sagely advice to pass on, or any guides related to moving in this direction?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back