Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice on Form Filter/Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tash

MIS
Nov 3, 2001
US
I need some advice on search filters/combo boxes design.

What is the best way to search for multiple criteria in a list of data? I currently have a list of data in the detail section and on the header part of the form are three combo boxes that filter the data upon selecting data in the combo box. Is this a typical search form design? My customer would like to limit the data showing in the combo boxes depending on the previous combo box selections. I'm not sure if that is the best way to search for data.

Just looking for some advice on setting up the design for a search form such as this. Thanks!

Tash,

This is a little confusing in that it is hard to see just how your customer wants to search (or select) the filter critiria. For example, if you are looking for a specific order, or group of orders, your first combo box could be region, your second combo box would then only show customers within the selected region, and the third combo box would only shows orders for the selected customer?

Or is it some other form of drill down logic? or give us an example please.

How are ya Tash . . .

What the customer wants the customer gets . . . if you can supply it!

[purple]If the customer is pleased . . . your problem is?[/purple]

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Just as VicRauch said, it gets confusing, because it is not reallly a drill down search. It's three items- Invoice, Vendor or date. Seems like you would have to have all three fields for a drill down search like this to work.

If I had exactly what the customer wanted, I guess there would be no problem, but I don't think he understands how this limits his searching - since it only works one way (at least the way I have it set up).

Ok, I think I have an alternate way of searching. If I got rid of the combo fields and just put 3 fields and then a button to search, you could fill out all three for a narrow search or just one for a broader search. I guess it was the combo box that was limiting me. I was having a major mind block on this one for some reason - thanks for letting me talk this one out!

Tash,

This is a much different search. Thanks for clarifying

I have done this several times where I have the user enter whatever they want, then I use "Like '*'" & fldName & "'*'" with each field.

I don't think you really asked for this, but I do hope it helps.

This is exactly what I am trying to do right now! And I forgot the "&" in my "Like" equation, so it wasn't working right. Thank YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back