Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice on Extreme Networks Summit X450E-24P Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbstl68

MIS
Aug 15, 2016
US
Hi,
I'd say I'm a noob but I know even less, so I'll apologize in advance if anyone feels I may be wasting their time....
I'm here to ask advice on the purchase and use of a Extreme Networks Summit X450E-24P switch
(I can get them apparently under $150 on eBay.)
I have literally never used a network switch before.
I'm looking for a solution to use for my new IP POE cameras.
I'm finding good prices I can afford for this particular 24 port POE switch.

But having absolutely zero experience with switches, no programming experience..of any kind I'd like some advice to know if this is a product that would work well as a solution for my planned home setup...basically about 15 POE cameras going to a NVR computer, an IP phone, DSL modem\wifi router, a couple of computers for internet, My DirecTV and a couple of Android set top boxes and smart TVs.

Is this product something that would be way over my head to figure out and configure strictly from reading an on-line manual and no other experience or would this be a good choice for my needs?

Is this all controlled and configured with a command line interface?>...I'm assuming maybe it does not have an easy GUI web interface as it is not typically a consumer level product.
Even though I'm sure its capabilities are overkill...if it is a good quality product and stable and will work for my needs and I can reasonably figure out how to even use it then that would be great.

I've also been reading that sometimes these used switches may be reconfigured and password protected and that would need to be reset...wondering if this is an easy task to reset this to "factory" settings" and start over for my needs.

Any advice on this switch to buy or stay away \ alternative reasonable priced solutions would be appreciated!!

(Here is a link to one I'm looking at for example...$120.

This switch is a PoE switch, which is correct for what you want to achieve.

I expect, with what you have mentioned here that it will require some configuration.

As you don't know a huge amount regarding the networking side of things, you may need to look up some of the terminology I am about to use. My apologies for that, but no other way around it.

Your setup requirements may, and I say may, require some form of QoS, it all depends as well if you want this to be a flat layer 2 network or you require layer 3 (Layer 2 = Hardware MAC addressing (in simple terms :) ) Layer 3 = IP addressing and routing). If you wish to seperate traffic, depending on it's destination then you will need Layer 3, however, if this is of no concern then you could possibly be able to utilise layer 2 (from a switch perspective).

More information on end result / requirements would be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back