Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

advice on adding another site

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadmiller

Technical User
Oct 13, 2004
US
We are looking at bringing another one of our sites on board with our current system and need some advice as to how you would do it.

At our main site we have one 3300 MXe Expanded and two 3300 MXe units as trunking gateways, with a single pri into each of the trunking gateways and failover into the main 3300 MXe. the 6510 voicemail, call accouting, enterprise manager, teleworker, quick conference, and your assistant.
I also have 3 remote site that are fiber connected and have a CXi at each site.

The new remote site currently has need for 20 telephones and would like to share DID and PRI services for the bulk of there calls with our main site but still have 1 - 3 copper lines for emergency use only.

They are currently using a comcast cable modem for internet service with no plans on upgrading to a fiber connection.

My boss has asked me if we can do this
A) entirely through the telworker server and use a few analog modules on the remote phones for emergency

or

B) place a 3300 CX type controller on site and somehow link the 3300 back to our main 3300 through the internet.

I understand the teleworker piece but i'm not sure if it would be best suited for this size of office. Most calls would be internal to the remote site or PSTN with few to none going to extensions at the main site.
The 3300 seems like the better idea to me but don't know if it is possible without some type of vpn between the two sites.

any advice you can give would be great.

Thanks,
Chad

1. TW. You can enable local streamin feature. It will allow voice traffic in the same remote network to flow directly between phones and signaling will go through the TW.
2. Internet. I don't think that you use just a modem. Most likely it is combo device modem/router. So look for VPN capable model.

slapin,
I will look into the TW streaming feature thanks for that. As for the modem you are right i forgot to include that they are currently using a basic linksys router. no real firewall/vpn capability. can the 3300's do vpn's or do they need something else to provide the vpn for them?

Thanks,
Chad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back