Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

doc1975

Technical User
Dec 18, 2003
US
I am in desperate need of an application that will allow me to track information based off of timesheets that i receive weekly. The information is as follows...

These are the fields i would like to use to sort the data...

WeekEnding
ProjectNumber
CircuitNumber
CrewNumber

I will be entering the following information and will need to perform calculations as well.

EmpCode (this is a predefined two digit number which will refer to four different rates... EmpBillingRate, EmpOTBillingRate, EmpPayRate, EmpOTPayRate,)
EmpHours (number of straight time hours worked)
EmpOTHours (number of over time hours worked)
EquipCode (this is a predefined two digit number which will refer to two different rates, EquipBillingRate, EquipOTBillingRate)
EquipHours (number of straight time hours billed to equipment)
EquipOTHours (number of over time hours billed to equipment)

After this information has been entered directly off the timesheet, i will need to be able to calculate costs based on calculating emp/equip hrs * emp/equipcode, sorted by either projectnumber, circuitnumber, crewnumber, and weekending...

I have tried using ms access, but i am failing to grasp the coding knowledge, pk, fk, normalization, and so on which seem to be a requirement. I am scheduled to take access classes early next year, but have a project which needs to be completed ASAP.

Im currently using a trial version of Filemaker Pro 6, and it appears to be a bit more user friedly, and would like an opinion on whether my requirements can be forfilled using this program before i purchase a full copy. Any suggestions on how i can complete this project?

Thanks

I certainly see no reason why you would not be able to do this with Filemaker Pro. Filemaker is more user friendly than Access. it seems like you should be able to do what you want using the predefinited calculation options with little trouble.

I can't say what the best structure for doing this projecxt of yours is. I don't know how the fields actually need to interrelate. You may be best of creating a few related databases instead of one, but I can't really tell from the information above

Phil

also look at at the sample DB that comes with the FM....I belive u can benifit from templates- "Time Sheet" and "Contacts"
All the best!

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back