Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice Needed -Thin Client Infrastructure Planning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murugs

Technical User
Jun 24, 2002
US
Right now in our warehouse we install a xp pro deskop, usb handheld scanner and in the PC we install the ERP which connects to a IBM AS400 server.

All day the packers scan the prodcut..No file storage..nothing..even if the PC crashes no worry..But since it is in the warehouse it collects lot of dust and kills the PC..So we are looking for thin clients.

I got a wyse thin client for evaluation. I RDP'd to a xp pro box and tried the application..works perfectly.. Right now I am looking to implement for 25 people in the warehouse and this number will grow in future.

I am thinking about terminal services..How do I go about on implementing this..Just install a windows 2003 server and install terminal services will do..How many connections will it accept..What about licensing for terminal server..Also we just got vmware in our office..will that help. Will the USB scanner work if we connect it to a USB port on the wyse thin client..Can any one provide me a solid infrastructure help with regards to hardware and software..

Ok so to use Terminal Services you will need:

1. Purchase of per-device CALs (for thin client; per user CALs for desktops/laptops/servers); you need enough to support all your devices
2. Server running Windows 2000 or Windows 2003 in application mode
3. Server running Windows 2003 for TS Licensing (you want this on a seperate server as it is not supported on teh terminal server itself)

VMWare could be used for the TS Licensing server, but I would avoid it at all costs for the terminal server. Also, consider this...ANY Windows system built on VMWare (instead of Microsoft's product; Virtual Server), is best effort support only. What does this mean? It means MS doesn't have to fix your problem if you can't reproduce it on hardware, or on Virtual Server.

Your connections to your terminal server will be limited only by your licenses.

BTW, with Win2003, there is a 120 day grace period before TS is cut off due to no licenses being installed. So you can install it today, and have 119 days to purchase and install licenses. Be advised though, if any TS License server has been in the domain, the grace period may be bypassed due to the TS box recognizing a valid license server *should* be in place.

-Brandon Wilson
MCSE:Security00/03
MCSA:Messaging00
MCSA:Security03
A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back