Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice Needed New Computer Components 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byn

Technical User
Sep 3, 2001
AU
Hi Everyone,

I'm about to build a new computer that will be used predominantly for Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator applications. Would someone please give me some advice on which CPU size(Intel or AMD), Graphics Card would be best suited for these applications. I don't intend to do any video editing. I know it's a very broad question but a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks
Byn

I would think that you will be satisfied with either when comparing equivalent models.

You might want to see a xomparison

Tom's Hardware

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

This all comes down to budget really but a dual core AMD X2 or Intel would be a good place to start.
Although not hugely faster they certainly help with multiple apps and when lots of windows are open.

Latest Nforce4 or Dual core compatible Intel chipset motherboard (features to suite your needs)

Contrary to what you would think, 2D applications such as Photoshop don't need to have a particularly high powered graphics card, so a good quality 128mb card will do just fine.

Plenty of ram! 1 gig plus!

Plenty of fast storage: a couple of fast 16mb SATA drives in a raid config would work well.

Don't forget a quality Version 2.0 power supply

Good input devices essential.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

All professional Adobe applications are multi-thread compatible (such as Photoshop, Premiere, and Illustrator). They will run faster in a multi-processor environment, so getting a CPU with two cores (like paparazi suggests) would server your needs best.

Because you're working in a 2D environment not worried about real-time video editing, the video card is not as important as the RAM and CPU.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back