Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice needed for 2K3 client install on NT4 Server SP6a

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karactur

Technical User
Jul 31, 2003
CA
I have encountered a strange thing. I cannot install the 2K3 client on NT4Server sp6a. Only one of the servers however. The client has installed on other servers, no problem, but this one server is finicky!

When I try to manually install the client, an error pops up stating that the "SMS Server component you are trying to install is not supported on your computer's operating system"

The advice I am looking for, is what criteria is the client looking for to determine what OS is currently installed. Perhaps a Registry key is missing. I can run "winver" and get a rundown of the OS ... NT4 SP6;SP6a.

I hope someone has some ideas. No logs get created for this install attempt as the client stops at the OS brick wall.

Are you trying to install a SMS 2003 Advanced Client on a Windows NT 4.0 Server with SP6A?

If yes, then the corrective action is to install the SMS 2003 Legacy Client. Advanced Client is restricted to Windows 2000 Prof, Windows 2000 Server, Windows XP Prof and Windows 2003 Server.

Nope, I keep trying the legacy client. I realise the advanced client does not work on NT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back