Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice Needed Exporting File Maker Pro Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byn

Technical User
Sep 3, 2001
AU
Hi Everyone,

Would someone please advise me if it's possible to export a File Maker Pro .usr file, which contains database records, into another database program. I'm not satisfied with the current program I'm using and wish to export the records into another application, which has yet to be determined. So, if it's possible to do this, then some advice on the type of program that would accept these records would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Not the file, but the data in the file can be exported.

Look at the possible extention FileMkaer can save data for export.

Check which extentions the new application can handle.

Save the FM data as a x.extention file, import into new app.

Listo

HTH

Hi JeanW,

Thanks for the reply. As you can probably tell, I don't know much about this. I just need to clarify a few points if that's ok. The program that I'm currently using was written with FileMaker Pro and the file(s) I wish to extract/export to another program have the file extention .usr. Just for an experiment, I changed the extension of one of the .usr files to the Access extention .mdb, but when I tried to open the file, Access said it couldn't recognize the file format. Did I do this correctly?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Byn

*.usr files are files made in FileMaker Developer and bound in such a way you don-t need FileMaker to work/view the solution/data.

You can't just change an extention from a file and used it with an other program it was first made for/with.
It's like changing the *.doc in *.pdf to read a wordfile in Adobe, it's a no-go.....

Best option is to get FileMaker somewhere, or ask somebody you know who has FileMaker to make a file from the data for you or download a trial version from the FileMaker site.
Open the file in FileMaker, export the data as a *.csv file (comma separated file) or a *.tab (Tab separated), *.slk (SYLK), *.dbf, *.dif, *.wk1 (Lotus), *.xml (XML file), whichever file can be handled by your new application, and import this file into the new application.

Make sure to have all the data you want/need before the export routine, because FileMaker will only export data from the found set of records.

If you need more info, feel free....

HTH

Hi JeanW,

Thanks once again for a top reply. I told you I didn't know much about this. :))
I'm starting to get the idea now.
I want to try and put the records into ACT! and it looks like the file type I want is .dbf, but I'll have to confirm that before I start.

I'll follow your advice and get back to you in necessary.

Thanks again JeanW.

Regards,

Byn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back