Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice about CV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reader2

Technical User
Oct 1, 2004
GB

I have worked in a medium sized organisation for about twelve years in a number of IT related roles.

In that time I have built up a range of strong business and IT skills, I applied for and was awarded a job in a technical area and I held this position for nearly five years. I really enjoyed my role and was told by many users, senior managers and other teams that I that I was good at what I did. A colleague (doing the same job) appeared to become jealous of the recognition I received, which led to a strained relationship and a very bad working atmosphere..

I spoke to my manager (Manager A), about the situation and though inclined to be a little sympathetic he didn’t want to rock the boat. I tried his manager (Manager B) who implied that I was exaggerating the problems. Eventually I became so disillusioned and stressed by the lack of support that I applied and surprisingly got another job in a different department (same company).

Although the role was not a natural progression (more of a side step) I have given it my best shot and two years later I am reasonably competent at what I am doing but find that my new job is not as exciting nor as interesting as the field that I was in previously.

Now add to this the fact that after several management changes and reorganisations I now find that Manager B is once again my manager’s manager. I have very little professional respect for this person and although I am determined to continue to do the best that I can I am finding it hard to motivate myself.

I have taken some time out and have decided that the best thing to do is to do what I should have done after the initial problems and find a job in my original field of interest in another organisation. It was a job that I was good at and more importantly one that I loved.

After having spent a couple of years in a different field I need advice on how to structure my CV to show that although I did not get a chance to sit the professional exams I am good at what I do and that I am generally a conscientious and committed worker. I feel that my enthusiasm and people skills will work well in an interview but am unsure as to how to draw up a CV that shows continuity without having to give an explanation of the above as I want to move forward not look back

Any advice would be welcome.

I wouldn't be afraid of not having an exam result to show. When going to the market for the first time, it is important, but not at your level.
I doubt that any prospective employer would turn down a chance to hire someone they need that has "been there and done that", rather than hire someone who only "has the required score to succeed".
I am not bashing exams in any way, nor the people who have them (I've been certified for every Notes version since R3), but I do think that being able to actually solve problems is more important than holding a paper certificate that gives a rather fuzzy view of one's competence.

In your stead, I would stress the accomplishments I have achieved and not worry about it. Employers prefer people with expertise, they take the people with exams when they don't find anyone with experience.

Pascal.

Thanks for your advice.

I have created a draft CV to work from. Hopefully my experience will speak for itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back