Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advantage of starting websphere instead of an instance

Status
Not open for further replies.

webstuff5

Technical User
Mar 21, 2002
CA
Hi:
I would like to get a comparaison between starting the Websphere server or only an instance. I need 5 strong justifications .. anyone has any idea on this?

Do you mean whether to start EnterpriseApps that exist in a websphere installation automatically or not? Love to help, but I want the better understand the question.

Keith Duffin

I can't speak for webstuff5, but I have a similiar question.

What is the difference/advantages between having two completely different websphere instances e.g. /opt/WebSphere and /opt/WebSphere2 both with a server1 Versus having one websphere instance and 2 servers (server 1 and server 2).

My goal is to have on 1 box multiple applications running each with their own JVM.

Frank

This is a very difficult topic to discuss, simply because of the terminology confusion. In my experience, an instance of WAS refers to a seperate complete install of WAS on a machine, or an install on a completely different machine. This sort of thing should only really be done if you want to get involved in clustering. Remember, even if you have seperate instances (installs) of WAS on a machine, you will still have to keep the server ports different - but WAS will not be able to manage this for you.

As far as seperate JVM's, each Application Server runs in its own JVM. Each JVM can have a heap size up to 1 gig (larger in some cases). Enterprise applications running on the same Application Server will not run in seperate JVM's.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back