Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advanrages and disadvantages using domain over workgroup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deeem

Technical User
Aug 20, 2004
GB
Hi Guys,

I have just setup a windows 2003 server with AD, DNS, POP3 Service, DCHP and terminal services. I have also setup 3 OUs for separating different group policys for different users in the building.

Is there a way for users to keep all there software settings/accounts no matter what PC they log into.

Scenario 1: Boss with her XP workgroup computer. All of her email accounts, settings, my document and desktop files sitting comfortably. As soon as I join her to the domain all of those accounts/settings/files will be in another user folder a.k.a gone!

Someone suggested ADMT before, but surely thats only for migrating from Domain to domain?

Really need some help with this if anyone can!

Thanks in advance

Damon

There is an easy workaround for this. Have the user log on after joining the domain, this will create their registry settings. Have them log off.

Log on as administrator. Open Regedit. Go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and find their SID entry. In there you will find the profile path. You just need to modify that path to point to the same location as the local logon.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Deeem,

You can use the FAST (File & Settings Transfer Wizard) program in Windows XP to make a backup of your Boss's files and settings and then restore them once the computer is joined on the domain.

Start>Program Files>Accessories>System Tools>File & Settings Transfer Wizard

You can back it up to a floppy, to a network drive, to a local drive, or if you were copying over to a new computer via a null modem cable.

Here's Microsoft's take on the matter which includes what files get backed up (email is on the list so you're covered):

Oh wait, I read your post wrong you said "no matter what pc they log onto". FAST would only work if you put her on the domain and she logged into that same computer. Sorry about that.

Mark, wouldn't roaming profiles also achieve his goal?

Yes, roaming profiles would do it but it is necessary to get the local profile migrated over first for that to be able to be moved up to the network. The steps I outlinded above would do that.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

I will try that on one of the machines mark thanks..

Maybe once I have the profiles changed in the registry for that user, then you could show me how roaming profiles works? :)

Cheers guys

DeeeM

OK Guys, I tried that SID thing...

Very strange, still trying to work it out in my head.

I logged in using admin account, changed the SID, then low and behold it created a new SID for the user the next time it logged in. (i.e. davidb.ICT). I then proceeded to try again, thus creating davib.ICT.000 lol!!

What seemed to work though.. When I changed my own SID for my user (Domain Admin Account) on that computer it worked fine. Strange?

An explanation as to what is going on would be cool guys!

Thanks in advance

Damon

You changed the wrong thing. You don't want to change the SID, you want to change where the SID points to for its profile. The key name is ProfileImagePath and it will be found under the SID.

Regards,

Mark

Yeah profileimagepath is what I changed.

It said %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\davidb

and I changed it to %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\WTB which is where it needs to point for the original computer settings.

No joy for that particular user, but when I changed my own to do it...it worked.

Any reason for this? Maybe something set up in the users group policys?

Regards
Damon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back