Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advanced Ship Notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBIZZ

Programmer
Nov 2, 2000
US
I'm looking for advice or help in regards to developing a text file for an 856 or ASN (Advanced Ship Notice). I have in my system the structure of a particular shipment stored. Example I know that I have a pallet that has 2 tare levels. Each Tare Level has 4 boxes. Now some 856 implementation guides want this information in a top down fashion, while other it appear want it in a bottom up fashion. There maybe no one correct answer, but I'd like to get some advice on this issue.

Thanks.

The ASN has multiple hierarchical structures. The ones I am familiar with are:
0001 - Shipment, Order, Pack, Item
0002 - Shipment, Order, Item Pack

If you are the shipper of the product, YOU, the shipper, determine which structure to use in sending the document.

The first structure (0001) is used in pick-and-pack shipping structures. If you can have multiple items in a carton, you would use this structure.

The second structure (0002) is used in full carton shipment only structures. If your shipping environment ONLY ships in full carton, you would use this structure.

Once you have determined which structure is appropriate for your shipping policies, this will determine how you structure your flatfile -- top down (0001) versus. bottom up (0002).

Good luck!!

Can anyone recommend a good ASN software solution?
We are currently using loftware s/w to print out
labels to Monarch 9830 and generate an audit file. The
audit file is then formatted so we have barcode info for
that PO. We use Harbinger to send out the ASN. Is there
a good product that links data generated by the printer
into harbinger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back