Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advanced client woes, SLP returning no results

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrGryphon

MIS
Feb 18, 2003
AU
Hi all, I've been out of the SMS saddle for a few years now, and I'm attempting to install a brand new site (one site only for now).

Installed in this sequence:

1. Windows Server 2003 with SP1
2. SQL Server 2000, and then SP4
3. SMS 2003, and then SP3

In the site boundaries I've added the IP subnet of my test client (and also the AD site code for good measure!).

I execute the following from my test workstation (I have sanitised server name, site code and IP addresses):

\\server01\SMS_XXX\Client\i386\capinst.exe /AdvCli /SLP=server01

The install seems to fail and the capinst.log says:

*** Starting Installation *** - Mon Feb 11 15:47:08 2008
Unable to open the client version registry key (183).
3 Command line argument(s):
\\server01\SMS_XXX\Client\i386\capinst.exe
/AdvCli
/SLP=server01
Checking OS Version:
Windows 2000 or greater detected.
Building SLP Query String:
This client belongs to AD Site: XXX.
IP Subnets found: &ip=192.168.1.0.
IP Addresses found: &ir=192.168.1.78.
SLP server01 specified on the command line, AD will not be searched.
Checking SLP server01 for site/caps
Querying SLP: /sms_slp/slp.dll?mp&ad=XXX&ip=192.168.1.0&ir=192.168.1.78
Unable to communicate with SLP: server01.
SLP server01 returned no results, This client cannot be matched to any site boundaries known by that SLP
*** Installation Complete *** - Mon Feb 11 15:48:08 2008

So here's the thing... it seems to me that the URL server01/sms_slp/slp.dll?mp&ad=XXX&ip=192.168.1.0&ir=192.168.1.78 should give me a result back, except it isn't... and looking in the IIS config on the server I can't see why it should. There is no ISAPI filter configured and no folder links under inetpub.

I found a Microsoft kb article stating that on 2003 SP1 DCOM needed some permissions relaxed before it would work. I don't have any of the DCOM objects the article mentions.

Did my install break?

----------------------------------
Citrix, Microsoft, Cisco, VMware consulting in Rockhampton, Gladstone and Central Queensland

If you extended the schema is the slp in the system management container, if you didnt is it in WINS, did you install the slp on that server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back