Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

advanced Balloon usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJZeak

Programmer
May 3, 2008
CA
Given a small square control like a button or picture/image that have no image, text or borders, using tooltips on the form and balloons set to true, it seems that some controls are totally blocked by the balloon overlay (associated balloons appear to attach by default to either the lower center UP or top Center DOWN both of which obscure the control
) ... when I set Balloon to off, the Click or Double-Click is then accessible under the rectangular tooltip (the controls are much smaller then the balloon) ... I vaguely recall that in some older GUI models, Hidden controls like these were considered Hot Spots or Areas which one could assign attributes like Mouse over help

when moving the mouse around the control the balloon just automatically readjusts its anchor point on the control but still obscures the control

Without over-sizing these Controls, is there some way to:
- capture the click/double-click event regardless of someone clicking the balloon?
or
- explicitly define where to attach a balloon OR Balloon Orientation so it doesn't obscure the control?
being able to change a balloon anchor to top Center UP would work

The X and Y in tooltip.show("<Tip>",<control Name>, X, Y, <time in mSec>), is supposed to anchor the balloon to a position relative to the top left corner (0,0) of the control so using X = cint( <control>.height / 2 ) and Y = cint( <control>.width /2) one would expect this to work ... however ... while it does solve the problem described in my first post, it has another issue which is supposedly a known bug with Tooltip ... basically, dependent on the direction your mouse approaches a control, tooltip decides how to orient the balloon's origin ... one orientation is correct to the X, Y values provided ... THE OTHER IS TOTALLY OUT TO LUNCH ... it appears as though the balloon is flipped without anchoring the provided origin making the resulting balloon point to unrelated objects

Someone indicated this could be fixed by doing a tooltip.show("",<control Name>,0) ZERO isn't accepted in VP 2017 so I used 1 ... this doesn't appear to make any difference

Note sure is there is a patch or alternate control for this of if there is a way to overload the draw tooltip control (Object instantiation) more than likely the inner methods are protected?

Would be useful if MS were to provide another Optional Parameter to the Tooltip list called Orientation; Auto(default), Up_Left, Up_Right, Down_Left, Down_Right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back