Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adt 3.3 freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itsari

Programmer
Mar 28, 2004
GB
Hi, I've just installed autodesk 3.3 on a brand new (networked) XP PC with 1 GB RAM.
Autodesk seems to crash when the user tries to carry out simple tasks such as changing the colour of hatching, or changing the text size. The user is then able to re-open the document in recovery mode and seems the changes went through ok.
At first i thought it was the machine spec, but surely a dual core amd64 can cope?
Other software i installed for autodesk to work was the c-dilla license software and an addon to open older drawings (DWGgateway)
Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi Itsari,

Make sure you have all the latest and greatest patches/updates for 3.3 installed. Also, change Architectural Desktop's swap file location to a different location than the Windows default swap directory. I have found this can help, I use: ...\Program Files\Autodesk\Architectural Desktop..\AcadTemp. AcadTemp is a directory you'll have to make. Also, and I've forgotten now the switch, but there is a switch to tell AutoCAD there are two processors. I believe the default is set to one processor.

HTH
Todd

Hi Todd,

Thanks for your reply. I thought i had it sorted when i installed the latest update for the application.
It is still freezing and now the user is saying that the tool tips are not corresponding to the icons displayed. And when he clicks on the icon, it is the command displayed in the tool tip that is executed!

I'm unsure of the swap file location? Can you tell me a bit more about this?
I read a few articles about disabling the hardware acceleration also (just incase anyone else is having similar problems!) but this still didn't help me!

Thanks,
Itsari

Hi Itsari,

In AutoCAD/Architectural Desktop, type "options" at the command line and select the files tab in the dialog box when it opens. In the tree you'll see 3 branches to address for this:
[ol]
[li]Automatic Save File Location[/li]
[li]Temporary Drawing File Location[/li]
[li]Temporary External Reference File Location[/li]
[/ol]

When AutoCAD runs low on memory, performs autosaves, it will create swap files in these dedicated directories. I have all of mine set the same directory I create in the AutoCAD/Architectural Desktop install directory - in my case it's: C:\Program Files\Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007\AcadTemp

By keeping AutoCAD out of the system's swap directory, there's less chance of them bumping heads. As an added bonus, you may notice a slight (but only slight) improvement in AutoCAD's performance - especially with large files.

HTH
Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back