Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADSL who owns it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrissirhc

Programmer
May 20, 2000
GB
I'm getting confused with the whole ADSL thing. NTL has adsl services in the UK but is this a totally different network to BT???? If you are buying an ADSL system from NTL are they effectively an intermediary from BT. Or have they got a totally different domain to the BT one?

Does my post make sense or have I got terminology wrong?

Thanks

Chris

DSL stands for Digital Subscriber Line which refers to the technology allowing high-speed internet connections across regular phone lines, while allowing voice/fax communication at the same time.

The lines are owned by the phone company, but I believe that networking and bandwidth are supplied by the ISP. I can't guarantee this but I had previously set up using one ISP for ADSL connections and the connection was slow (45-60 k/s), and at times I couldn't even ping the IPS's router. After changing to another ISP I have a good connection that give me 95k/s average download rates.

one thing to check before you get your dsl line is
what can you actully do with it it if your a gamer
then avoid homechoice for example because netmeeting is
a no show with them

All I can say is B.T is a total rip-off n everything they offer. NTL may be slightly cheaper than B.T (no surprises there), but B.T probably offers a far wider service. That's if ADSL is in your area yet.... Biffo, the Godfather of making mistakes in life. Although, his Tek-Tips answers and questions are no mistakes.

Okay I've actually got the answer I think now. ADSL uses normal copper wires. NTL doesn't actually provide ADSL or DSL they have cable modems which I believe is a different technology. They use broadband cable right up to your doorstep and they do not offer contention.

BT are currently the only telecom company in the UK who have ADSL technology in their exchanges. At this exchange it filters the normal anologue (low frequency) from the high frequency digital data and then routes it to whoever your ISP is and vice versa.

If I'm incorrect please post back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back