Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADSL USB connection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markguttridge

Technical User
Sep 19, 2001
GB
Hi, Can anyone help?

I,m using an USRobotics ADSL USB Modem, on a W2K system

Whenever I access the internet the connection only stays open for short period, anything from a second to 5 minutes,
and then disconnects and the dialup connection box appears, sometimes when i click it reconnects straight away other times it takes 10 or 20 atempts.
I've just setup the same modem on a second pc and its perfect, surfed for over an hour with no problems so its got to be a problem with the pc rather than the modem or isp/connection.(BT have also sent out an engineer to check the line and found no problem)

Usrobotics suggested I flash update the bios, but that didn't resolve the problem, I've also updated the driver for the USB port.

Please can any one help?

Regards Mark

does the 2nd pc have different hardware? a different usb chipset?

my alcatel usb modem never worked right on my
onboard usb ports. i got a belkin usb card and it's been fine ever since.

i had different problems than u but i know a lot of ppl have had probs with dsl modems and onboard usb ports.
===============
Security Forums

i too have the alcatel usb modem and i had a small problem with it i dont know which resolved the problem as i did a couple of things the first was to unplug the modem and then check the pins (one was slightly bent ) and the other was to reinstall the dial up adaptor as conection was disconecting at random times but all is fine now hope this helps and good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back