Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADSL Over Frame Relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanpci

Technical User
Aug 29, 2005
I’m installing (3) 1801 routers each with a 1-port ADSL WIC in 3 branch offices. They’re going to be connected to the home office over a frame relay circuit. The home office will be using a 2801 router that connects to the frame relay cloud via a T1 serial interface tying in to each of the branches using point-to-point frame relay subinterfaces. All the routers will be bridging as well as routing. Here’s the network topology:

DSL
NewYork ------->
DSL Frame T1
Atlanta --------> Relay <-------- California
1801 Cloud 2801
DSL (Verizon)
Florida -------->

I have not yet received the DLCIs from the provider. I am having difficulty finding sample configs from Cisco’s website for this specific arrangement. Can anyone offer a sample config for this setup?

Thank You.

On the Californa Router

int s1/0
encap frame-relay

int s1/0.111(Local-DLCI#)
ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.252
frame-relay interface-dlci 111(local-DLCI#)

int s1/0.112(Local-DLCI#)
ip address 192.168.1.5 255.255.255.252
frame-relay interface-dlci 112(local-DLCI#)

int s1/0.113(Local-DLCI#)
ip address 192.168.1.9 255.255.255.252
frame-relay interface-dlci 113(local-DLCI#)

ip route (network address) (mask) (interface address)

sorry forgot one thing each sub interface should define point to point....example

int s1/0.111 point-to-point

Thanks Kapfel. Appreciate the assistance!

This is a new one for me. Is Verizon offering some sort of Frame Relay to ATM Interworking with DSL? If so, that's pretty cool. I haven't heard of that before.

jneiberger:
I'm not sure how "new" this is. The client currently has that service from a T1 into the frame relay circuit on the home office side and adsl service back into the frame relay circuit from the branches. Only difference is that now instead of just the dsl modems, we're going to be installing cisco routers in the branch offices. I now believe that verizon will help me with the configs on the dsl ends since it's their network setup.
After we're all done, I'll post the configs.
stanpci

I do the same thing except I have an ATM circuit at the head end. DSL is basically an ATM PVC riding over a phone line. They must be doing FR-to-ATM interworking to get it onto a frame relay circuit.

we have that setup here as well...
Framerelay is still the easiest way to deliver a T1.. but the "Head End" often has a requirement for much more bandwidth then a T1 and will be ATM, or Sonet.

like jneiberger said... the DSL would be basically ATM already but there are other devices.. like a nortel passport that has a FRATM card in it that converts ATM to Frame...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back