Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADSL modem to work with Linksys RV082

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelly02

Instructor
May 30, 2008
GB
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help, we have recently purchased a Linksys RV082 Router to test at one of our sites, we are looking for recommendations for an ADSL router to work with the RV082?

Can anyone suggest anything, have tried Linksys but they were not very helpful?

Thanks,
Michelle

What interfaces are on this router? If it routes, you really just need a modem. Or, just get a Cisco 837, which is both in one, and the top of the line in manufacturers of routers---you have a LOT of control on Cisco equipment. I had a C837 and I have adsl at home---I got the 837 off Ebay for about $120. The C851 and C871 are wireless. Now I have a 2620XM with a WIC-1ADSL in it, which is overkill, but I built one hell of a firewall and IPS/IDS!

Burt

Use whatever modem the ISP provides. If the ISP provides a router, have them set it to bridge mode.

Ah, maybe I misunderstood. Are you looking for suggestions for what to use as the other endpoint of the VPN tunnel? If so, the linksys can connect to nearly any other VPN endpoint. A Cisco PIX or Sonicwall might also be good choices. It really depends on what additional features you might need at the other end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back