Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADSL model intermittent

Status
Not open for further replies.

ads142857

Technical User
Jul 15, 2003
GB
Hi,

My ADSL modem (internal, no-brand, Conexant chipset) keeps dropping the connection. It usually picks it up again shortly (within 20 seconds normally), but occasionally it just can't get a connection at all.

I have tried 2 microfilters - no difference. My previous modem (external) worked fine in this regard (but had other problems!)

Question is: is it likely to be a hardware fault or a configuration problem?

My concern is that it is to do with the temperature inside the case. I have acoustic wadding everywhere, and quiet fans. It does get hot in there. Is this likely to be the cause?

Any ideas most welcome. TIA

Micro-filters? All the DSL I've dealt with use no filters on the line coming into the box, only on any phones on the same line.
If the machine is off overnight, case temperatures should be low enough for 15 minutes for you to make an evaluation of the heat potential as a cause.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thanks for replying. The microfilter also splits the line so I can plug a phone in. I highlighted that only so you would realise that these are not likely to be the problem.

The machine is indeed off overnight, but the problem with intermittent faults is that they are intermittent! :( I would say that the problem occurs more when the machine has been on longer, but this is probably subjective.

There is nothing else that occurs when the machine is on for ages, so all the other components are happy with the temperature. I wondered if there was any known problem with ADSL modems when they get to, say, 50 degrees centigrade?

I've only dealt with 2 internals. And my personal one was as buggy as they come. Of course I didn't realize that until I got an external off ebay and increased speed considerably.

You might want to disconnect all your phones and plug directly to the phone line to eliminate the possibility of some interactions. And if there is a difference, plug phones in 1 at a time and test.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thanks again. I am putting in an extra case fan tonight, which will cool things down but not necessarily solve this problem...

I'll also try using the Westell external modem that I have spare but never got to work. Computers, consumer devices? Pah! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back