Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADSL Line Keeps losing connection intermittently

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyh

Technical User
Jul 16, 2000
GB
Hi there can somone help me.. i have 512k bt business broadband and have a vigor 2600plus router. Before BT extended their range i could not have broadband but now i can. The problem im having is the router keeps losing its connection to the adsl, sometimes it stays on for hours and sometimes it goes down every 10-15 mins. BT are saying the line is fine and ive even changed the router. Im convinced its the line as the SNR = 19.0 and the LOOP ATT = 66 and i get a few thousand uncorrected blocks.
Please can somone advise whether there is a router on the market which will handle this distance. I spoke to draytek and they given me the firmware i need cos of the distance.

Thanx

How far are you from the CO? If you are at the limits of DSL, there really isn't much you can do.

It is what it is!!

I had a similar problem to this with my ADSL line at home. We had the problem for about 3 months with repeated calls to BT. Whenever the BT engineer came out the problem would not appear. The engineer changed the box on the wall for one with an inbuilt filter, replaced/remade all the joints on the line between the pole at the end of the garden and the box inside. Removed an unused DACS/DAX unit on the pole, changed the point of connection in the exchange. He even came back one lunchtime without being allocated the job just to see if the problem was showing or not - it was and he eventually traced it to a fuse not being properly inserted.

They should come out and measure the line from your premises and see if there are any errors on their test kit. If there are any errors, then they (or at least the engineer I had) agreed there was a fault even if the problem was not always present.

In my case they insisted that the problem be shown with their supplied kit rather than the router I have.

I had to keep logging the fault, usually a day after the engineer had been. I got the impression that the engineers get some sort of black mark against them if they don't fix the problem first time.

Hope this helps

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back