Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adsl connection issues in ME - unable to set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

mchoss

Programmer
Feb 11, 2002
GB
Windows ME
128Mb RAM
Corega EtherII PCC-T ethernet card

I am trying to establish an adsl connection on a relatively old laptop running ME, and one that i cannot upgrade the OS unfortunately.

The Corega ethernet card reports no errors, and Windows appears to be satisfied that it has the correct drivers installed.

However, when i plug in the cat5 cable, like others in the building, i was expecting it to detect the connection, give me an IP address (IE is setup to do so) and off i would go. This is not the case. I cannot seem to find a way in ME of establishing the broadband connection.

In settings, my natural instinct, it only has options to set up a dialup connection. In My Network Places, i follows the connection wizard, but after clicking finish, no connection actually appears.

Excuse my ignorance of ME, and i hope i am just missing something silly, but any help would be much appreciated.

Note: there maybe some software that i need to install provided by the ISP, but other machines running newer versions of windows have not needed anything, it had literally been plug in cable and play.

Thanks in advance

More details please. Is this a direct ADSL connection? Because they usually work via a USB connection from ADSL modem. To use ethernet, usually need a router - so can you clarify your connection.

This is most probably due to an incorrect installation or an IRQ conflict.
Some Corega network cards do not have a Windows Me specific driver folder on the driver diskette provided. This is not a problem as the Windows 2000 driver works for Windows Me. Alternatively, please visit the Support pages of the Corega International web site. Update your drivers!!

Cheers all,

Yes, i had already been to the corega site to update the drivers as i do not have the install cd for the card. After some intial issues i did manage to get windows to install the correct driver.

However, after contacting the previous owner of the pc in question it turns out that there were always issues with the on board lan card, and the cable i had been given for the card was not functioning correctly. I believe these 2 reasons were at the heart of why windows was not detecting the connection. Apologies for the somewhat misleading post .. if the new cable doesn't work i'll be back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back