Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADSL and TCP/IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldegheest

Programmer
Feb 1, 2003
BE
My NIC doen't get an IP.
I also have a ADSL PCI modem.
When I use ipconfig I only see the IP of my modem.
I've deleted the TCP/IP protocol of the modem, so only TCP/IP was installed for the NIC. When I then tried ipconfig, it said that TCP/IP wasn't installed. But in network properties it was installed.

NIC: PLANET Ethernet PCI ENW-950x RTL-based
modem: alcatel speedtouch PCI

NETBUI works fine

what you are saying doesnt make sense. If you have a PCI modem, then why would your ethernet card get and IP address. The interface that is going to using IP will be the one getting an ip address, so if your modem doesnt get one, then you wont be able to get internet through your modem...
logo-tektips.gif

I don't know what you're trying to do but maybe this will help. The pci adsl modem is a modem and nic combo device, the modem part is a bridge and the nic part is assigned an ip address thru it which allows the computer to surf the internet just as you would with and external modem and a pci nic(or isa). The only reason to use your nic in this situation is to share the internet connection from the adsl modem with another computer, and for that you need an OS that supports ICS or some other internet connection sharing software. You must have tcp/ip installed and bound to any adapter you're trying to use. There are plenty of tutorials on the net about ICS as well as tcp/ip basics. "never hack a crack for he may crack and hack back"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back