Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADSI automation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajoidea

IS-IT--Management
Jul 9, 2001
US
Hello,
I'm using ADSI to manage a big chunk of remote install (using RIS) computers in Windows 2000 server (using the LDAP style, of course), and I've run into a problem with automating the process. I need to create accounts for all the computers, naturally, and to get the RIS stuff functional, this includes setting the netbootGUID field of their accounts at creation so PXE boot can work. I'm using the computer's MAC address prepended with 0s until it is the appropriate 32 characters long (in GUI mode). The ADSI documentation I've read indicates that when setting the field via a script, the input should be 16 characters long; an "octet string".
I've tried this in Javascript and Perl, and in each case, the same problems crop up. I can add the computer's account, but not the netbootGUID. On test runs, if I feed in a string of 16 0s, the netbootGUID appears in the properties pages as 30303030....
What really perplexes me is that if I read the netbootGUID from a machine account configured correctly by hand, and then try to set the netbootGUID to the value I just read, it still fails complaining of syntax errors with the input value.

Does anyone know how to set the netbootGUID or any ADSI octet string field (other octet string fields include controlAccessRights, mSMQDigests, objectGUID, objectSID, registeredAddress, and siteGUID)? At this point, a solution in any scripting language would be great (but my first choice is still perl). Thanks for any assistance, or even replies. It stumped the folks over in the perl forum. ;-)

Tom Ragsdale
stingray@acl.lanl.gov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back