Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADS Tool to see each workstation or server the user is logged onto ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeny961

MIS
Jun 26, 2002
US
Does anyone know of either a built in active directory utility/command line tool or a 3rd party utility that will enable us to enter a user ID and return every workstation or server the user is logged onto in the domain??

We have many cases where users are locked out of Active Directory and they are logged onto another workstation. With over 800 workstations, it's very difficult to manually search where they are logged in.

Thank you

Mike

Two suggestions included.

Realizing that WINS is officially sneered at by MS in Win2k, with 800 workstations, I'm assuming at least some of them are Windows 98 (thus requiring WINS).

WINS record type 0x03 identifies the user (and workstation, it seems) name. Assuming that none of your computers (also type 0x20) are named the same as user names, you could scan WINS. MS still keeps a list of record types; I always forget which type is the domain.

E.g. I think it's something like:
NETSH WINS Server (WINS Server) SEARCH (record type)
sorry, I don't have WINS on my machine.

Barring this, and realizing that you asked about AD, perhaps I can get you closer by directing you here:

It's PERL->AD, but you can surely convert it to match your environment - to scan all of your servers, then return the last login time. Surely the machine the person logged in from will be there too, and if not, it's in the event logs - which you should also be able to access. You may have to keep a list of all the machines recorded in the log, then drop them from your candidates as you find logoffs (you'll need to audit these events). For example, we dump our Event Logs using a freeware SysLog Daemon, to one machine, for similar processing.

Let me know if this isn't specific enough; I'll dig a little deeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back