Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ads popping up? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakota81

Technical User
May 15, 2001
US
I'm getting an advertisement that's popping up from time to time and I don't know why it's coming up, and obviously want to get rid of it.

I know about all the ad programs out there, I've used Kazaa and other file sharing programs extensively, never installed anything else that causes ads, etc., but these here are not the cause.

I'm a student at the University of Illinois and the apartment I live in has provided dsl throughout the entire building and goes to the phone company, McCloudUSA.

I don't pay much attention to the ad, so I can't give an exact description. However, it has something to do with universities and diplomas, which makes me think McCloud is exploiting some installed messaging application that's provided with XP, for the purpose of selling advertisement. Can this be done, and if so, how do I uninstall whatever messaging application they're exploiting?

First, delete all temporary internet files (under Tools->Options) and *.TMP files (do a search on the hard drive). Next, go here to download and install ad-aware:

- This app does a free inspection for known spyware that have attached themselves in your browser, registry, and other places. I recommend backing up your registry before running this program just in case. ~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

The thing is, this ad that has popped up twice in two weeks since I installed xp, suspiciously "knows" that I attend a university. As I see it, there are two possibilities for this:

1) I received my xp cd & product key from the university (I tried first and the product key did not work with an xp cd my roommate had, so I downloaded it from the university).
-or-
2) The apartment I have is a basically a campus apartment building which has provided dsl service through it's own internal network, going to the local phone company.

Are any of these possible causes - I wouldn't be posting here if it wasn't suspicious. I know what programs I install and I make sure nothing gets installed that I don't want.

Howdy:

There is a new ad pop-up program out there that doesn't need for you to be online in order for it to show up.

Right now, the most consistent ad has to do with getting a University degree.

The developer of this program will not say how it works, but thus far, no one has found a way to stop it nor has it been declared spam mail.

He is getting close to 700 inquiries a day from companies and websites looking to "buy in" to this technology.

I am afraid it has just begun.

Murray

You can try this program to see if it will disable that pop up from appearing.

It's called Guard IE and it works wonders. I have it on all my systems. It has alot of different options to set. Unfortunately, the download is a trial version, but IMHO, it's well worth the money. Enkrypted
A+
Let others know how much help they are by marking the helpful posts.

Howdy:

The "Messenger" fix doesn't work.. I have done that right after I got the first "Pop-up".. I have gotten it twice more since I ran the "supposed" fix.

Murray

This seems to be the best way to cure the ads
remove kazaa
go to and get adaware and run it to remove adware
and download kazaalite at kazaalite is a kazaa hack with all of the ad software removed.
It also includes some ad blocking software.
another favorite is Pop-Up stopper availible at

cdogg,
How does one back up the registry?
And how does one restore from the backup?
If the registry gets fouled up, will the computer be operative enough to enable registry restoration?

Here is the way I like to back it up:

1) Go to Start->Run
2) Type regedit /e c:\regbackup_Today's Date.reg
3) Hit OK

After hitting OK, you'll see an hour glass for a few seconds. Then that's it! Now you'll have a .REG file you can double-click anytime to restore the registry.

Windows, of course, has its own tools to make backup & restore diskettes. Read here to learn more:

For Win2K:

For WinXP:

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Do a search on Popup ads in all forums. One of the fixes for XP sets the messenger service to manual start instead of automatic start. Seems to be working fine for me. Blocking the ports did not work for me and I am using Norton Firewall. What's the title of the pop up window? Does it say 'Messenger service?' If it does, then changing the task startup options should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back