Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADPREP /Forest/DomainPrep 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushrick

Technical User
Jun 4, 2003
US
Simple question, sorry if it has been asked already....

I am planning on upgrading my 2k DC to a 2k3 DC...

In a Domain with a single Domain Controller, do you need to run ADPrep or just upgrade the DC from 2k to 2k3?

Thanks,

Rick

Do you have Exchange 2000? If you do and you plan on upgrading your email system to 2k3 you will need to do this step first.

If not, then the setup will update your Active Directory to 2k3 automatically.

Thanks NDC,

I do have an Exchange 2k server, and was planning on moving it to Ex2k3 after I promote my DC's - (I demoted all but one...).

For clarity, I should run the prep now, prior to the DC 2k upgrade and NOT after, when I upgrade the EX2k to EX2k3.

Correct?

Exchange 2k3 can run on Active Directory 2K and 2K3 however, Exchange 2K cannot and will not run on Windows 2K.

Step 1 - Upgrade Exchange server to 2K3
Step 2 - Upgrade to 2K3

Exchange 2000 Server to Exchange Server 2003 In-Place Upgrade
Exchange 2003 supports an in-place upgrade from previous versions of Exchange 2000. This section guides you through a high level overview, and explains known issues that you should be aware of before you perform your in-place upgrade.

Exchange 2003 Schema Preparation

Before your first Exchange 2000 server upgrade, ensure that Exchange 2003 ForestPrep has been run in the Active Directory forest, in the domain where the schema master resides (by default, the schema master runs on the first Windows domain controller installed in a forest). ForestPrep applies Exchange 2003 schema extensions to include Exchange 2003 specific classes and attributes.

Note If you used the schema manager to index Exchange 2000 schema attributes, you must verify and reapply any manual changes you made to the schema after Exchange 2003 ForestPrep updates the schema.

Exchange 2003 Domain Preparation

Before your first Exchange 2000 server upgrade, ensure that Exchange 2003 DomainPrep has been run in all the domains where you wish to upgrade your Exchange 2000 servers.

You will see the following dialog once you run domainprep:

"The domain "example.extest.microsoft.com" has been identified as an insecure domain for mail-enabled groups with hidden DL membership. Hidden DL membership will be exposed to members of the built-in "Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access" security group. This group may have been populated during the promotion of the domain with the intent of allowing permissions to be compatible with pre-Windows 2000 servers and application. To secure the domain, remove any unnecessary members from this group."

This does not mean that your Exchange domain is not secure or that your Exchange organization is running in mixed mode. If you are concerned about your Hidden DL memberships being exposed to the "Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access" security group, ensure that only your trusted users or groups are populated in this security group.

Exchange 2003 Upgrade Preparation

Audit any Exchange-aware third-party applications and agents running on your server (such as anti-virus and backup products). Check with the vendor to ensure that the version you have is supported on Exchange 2003
Take a backup of your databases and ensure they can be mounted on a standby server. If your in-place upgrade from Exchange 2000 SP3 to Exchange 2003 fails, you will need to re-install Exchange 2000 and SP3.
Note It is possible to mount an Exchange 2000 SP3 database on an Exchange 2003 server. Upon mounting, the store process automatically patches the database to the correct ESE level. You cannot, however, mount an Exchange 2003 database on an Exchange 2000 SP3 server.

Exchange 2003 Upgrade

Close all Exchange-related MMC applications, such as Exchange System Manager and Active Directory Users and Computers. If you are upgrading through Terminal Services, ensure that Exchange MMC applications are closed on the console and other Terminal Server logons. If an Exchange MMC is left open, Exchange Setup will not be able to over-write files, and this will cause Exchange Setup to abort. If in doubt, reboot your server before attempting the upgrade.
Manually stop third-party applications and agents before attempting the upgrade. Exchange Setup will not be able to overwrite files if they are locked. Additionally, third-party antivirus products are known to be the source of setup and upgrade failures.
Exchange Setup stops all core Exchange services (e.g. Exchange Store, Exchange System Attendant, MTA, OnePoint-MOM) and periphery services that may hold Exchange files open (e.g. License Logging service, IISAdmin). If one of the core services cannot be stopped gracefully the upgrade will fail. If any of the periphery services fail to shutdown, Exchange Setup will wait 2 minutes and continue. In the latter case, a reboot will be requested at the end of the upgrade to clean-up any locked files.
Once Exchange Setup completes successfully, if you are prompted to reboot, you should do so immediately.
Verify that all Exchange services have started correctly, and that users can login to their mailbox.

Great post NDC.

Here is what I will do....

1. Run the Domain and Forest Prep on the remaining DC
2. Upgrade the OS on the Exchange Server to 2k3 (member server)
3. Upgrade Ex2k to Ex2k3 (following your previous post)
4. Upgrade the DC to 2k3

Since I am down to one DC and one Ex2k server, how much time should I allow for things to "settle" before moving onto the next step?

Hows that? Any last minute pointers?

Thanks,

Rick

Rick, you have steps 2 and 3 backwards.

You must upgrade to Exchange 2003 before you upgrade that server to Windows 2003.

The only version of Exchange that can run on Windows 2003 is Exchange 2003.

Prepare your AD by running the Exchange Setup with the /FORESTPREP switch and then run it again with /DOMAINPREP switch. Do this on the Schema Master.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Rick-

I have a large domain and ran the migration in a couple of hours. Most of the time was spent performing a brick level backup before and after each step.

There are a lot of varibles involved before I can guess to the time you need. CPU speed, Drive speed/configuration, Current mailbox sizes, are you planning on performing a complete backup before and after?

My only last minute pointer is that you MUST UPGRADE Exchange FIRST before your move to AD 2003. Remember that Exchange 2003 is AD2000 and 2003 compatable. Exchange 2000 ONLY works on AD2000. Also once you are done with the Exchange upgrade ensure EVERY thing is working properly. Such as Client log in, Public folder access, OWA and most importantly BACKUPS!!!

Thanks Mark for catching the reverse.

- Fish

Thank you both for your insightful information.

I am in the "throws" of the remaining tasks prior to executing the upgrade; backups and last minute tweaks.

I appreciate your time and will keep you posted as to my progress.

Best regards,

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back