Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADODB.Field error '800aObcd' 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

puterdude

Technical User
Apr 13, 2001
US
I was wondering if this is normal behavior and if I'm just timing out.
I have a web using asp that I'm developing on my local machine using MS Personal Web Server.
Everything works (well, usually ;)) but when I let the browser sit for a bit, and then refresh the page, I get the error ADODB.Field error '800aObcd'

Any ideas why this is happening? Do I need to worry about this once I load it on the server?

Thanks,

Puterdude

You forgot to program a BOF/EOF test. . .

if rs.bof or rs.eof
' empty record set!
' go somewhere else...
end if br
Gerard

Gerard,

Thanks. I didn't know I had to.
The record set shouldnt BE empty though. Basically, it is pointing at a valid record. Then I wait awhile, hit refresh and poof, error.

It is not mandatory. i always tend to program very defensively. sometimes i'm 99,99% sure a record will be found, but it is that ,01% that counts....
the error message indicates that there is no valid record. maybe it is deleted by another user.
br
Gerard

Thank you again. And I agree about the defensiveness (not that I always do it).
It's weird to me that it is happening. There is no way for the record to be deleted. Not possible. Also, I can access the record if I log in again.

Could this have something to do with my using session variables and them timing out? Sorry I'm so dense about this, really new to me.

Thanks for all of your help.

Puterdude

have you explicitly set your recordset and connection objects = nothing???

set rs = nothing
set con = nothing

at the end of the page? Sometimes when you are using Access, if you don't do that, it makes things screwy.

If you have, then what is the description of the error?? The text that follows the number that you posted up there?

:)
Paul Prewett
penny.gif
penny.gif

I didn't have the set rs = nothing or set con = nothing. I'll add that to be safe.
The text that follows is:
Either BOF or EOF is true, or the current record has been deleted. Requested operation requires current record.

The error message points to this line in the code:
<%=(RS_password.fields.item(&quot;Name&quot;).value%>

Thanks muchly,

Puterdude

hmmm.... that's really strange --

I wonder if when you are refreshing, maybe it's missing some information that was passed to it from a previous page that has then expired, so your query doesn't build properly, which would explain why you have an empty recordset --

just a thought --

penny.gif
penny.gif

Yes, that is what I was thinking. Perhaps, a session variable that is expiring. I'll keep looking.

Many thanks.

Easy way to check it out would be to response.write any variable in question to the screen -- it will either still be there on refresh, or it won't be.

should help you start tracking it.

penny.gif
penny.gif

It was a session variable I was using to store the key to the record.

I have extended the timeout period using session.timeout = 60. I'm hoping that will prevent too much trouble.

I guess I could use a cookie but if someone has their browser refusing cookies, then that would be bad.

Do you see any problems with this?

Thanks,

Puterdude

Yes, session variables also require cookies to be allowed.
penny.gif
penny.gif

If this is your Recordset
<%=(RS_password.fields.item(&quot;Name&quot;).value%>
you coul just write
<%=(RS_password(&quot;Name&quot;)%>
because it's the same thing

Ah, yes. Very true. for now.

Don't get too comfy, though. When vb.net and asp+ comes out, your rules for coding are going to get alot more stringent, and if you want to port old applications to the new platform, it will make it alot easier if you are as explicit as possible.

Again, I'm not contradicting, just offering a bit of advice.

Paul Prewett
penny.gif
penny.gif

Thanks to all.

Boy don't I feel stupid. I didn't know that session variables were cookies store on the user machine, I thought they were stored on the server until the end of the session. Sigh...

Well, if I'm going to use cookies anyway, I may as well just set one and get on with it.

WHY CANT THINGS STAY THE SAME FOR JUST A LITTLE BIT, SO I CAN CATCH UP TO WHAT WAS OLD YESTERDAY!!!

Puterdude

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back