Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adoboe PDF(Distiller) not producing PDF

Status
Not open for further replies.

penahill

Programmer
Nov 5, 2001
US
I have been searching for a while with no luck. I have a VB6 program that creates some prn files that needs to placed into 1 PDF. The VB6 program creates a postscript(.ps) file and then used the FileToPDF method to run it. When this VB6 program was developed we were using Adobe 5 and it worked fine. It is still working but we can no longer load Adobe 5 on new systems due to not having the CD. Adobe 8 was the replacement and for some reason the script will not produce a PDF. Below is the .ps file created and ran on Adobe PDF(aka distiller).

------------------------------------------------------------
/prun { /mysave save def
dup = flush
RunFile
clear cleardictstack
mysave restore
} def

(C:/HQ/Batch/Schematic.prn) prun
(C:/HQ/Batch/Blue Print.prn) prun
(C:/HQ/Batch/Merchant List.prn) prun
(C:/HQ/Batch/Fixture List.prn) prun

This is the output in the log file produced by the Adobe PDF when called by the VB6 program using FileToPDF method.

C:/HQ/Batch/Schematic.prn
C:/HQ/Batch/Blue Print.prn
C:/HQ/Batch/Merchant List.prn
C:/HQ/Batch/Fixture List.prn
%%[ Warning: Empty job. No PDF file produced. ] %%

When theses files are used within Adobe 8 to create a PDF it produces the PDF with no problem. In my efforts I have changed the FileToPDF to FileToPDF2 thinking it was a security issue being enforced by Adobe 8. I also changed from Pdfdistiller object to ACRODISTXLib.PdfDistiller6. This enabled me to use the FileToPDF2 method. I hope I explained what is happening well enough and I need to find a solution that can done in VB6.

Thanks for taking your valuable time in reading this thread and any help would be appreciated.

penahill

With further researching and trial by error debugging I think I am finally getting closer to the above mentioned error. I mentioned that when files were placed into adobe 8 that it created a PDF. Now when processing the prn's I get the below error on every file:

-----------------------------------------------------------

%%[ Error: undefined; OffendingCommand: AIR ]%%
%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

-----------------------------------------------------------

The process of creating the prn's have not changed and these prn's will process fine through Adobe 5.

Once again thanks for reading this thread and any help would be appreciated.

penahill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back