Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adobe table 3.0 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnderek

Technical User
Jan 27, 2003
US
I am working on some basic forms (sales order, purchase order ect.) I go to >edit>insert object>create file from new> adobe table. When in table i create the table, then i click on file>update. When i go back to PM and try to save the file the screen freezes and Adobe Table is not responding. This program seems extremely sensitive; what's the best way to make tables without hurting this programs feelings?[sadeyes]

Hi, johnderek,

Yes, Adobe TE is not one their successes.

Probably the best way to make tables in PM is to use tabs in text block. If you need grid lines, put them on another layer.

Alternatively create them in MSWord or Excel, convert to PDF or EPS and place that in PM.

Or consider InDesign.

Iechyd da! John
23:56 11/04/03 BST

Hi Johnderek,
I agree Adobe Table 3.0 is "sensitive", although I probably would have used a stronger word. This is one area where Adobe should have taken a leaf out of Microsoft's book, with their ease of table creation. Anyway, I have found that the best approach is to open the Table app. and create your table from scratch, save it, and then from within PM, edit>insert object>from file and browse to where the saved table resides. When you click on the file, the table is inserted in your PM doc. Once placed, using the arrow cursor, click within the table, the app. reopens and you can modify as required. Hope this helps...

Cyberboy
Computers are like snowflakes. No two are alike.

Hi, cyberboy,

The trouble with "insert object" is that it you'll have problems in the PostScript environment - you'll probably be able to print to your local PCL printer, but not be able to create a PDF.

In which case, saving the Adobe Table in EPS format is the way forward.

Table Editor 2.5, which supplied with PM5 was excellent, and if memory serves, PM7 will import them. There's certainly no problem with TE2.5 tables whihc where placed in a PM5 and opened in PM7.

Iechyd da! John
11:26 13/04/03 BST

Hi BigJohnD,
Sorry to disappoint you, John, but I create PDFs from the PM document containing tables created as I outlined in my earlier post no sweat...
Cyberboy

Hi, cyberboy,

You are indeed fortunate, and my expereince with OLE has been that it is not sufficiently stable. My advice would be:

• Be sure you have downloaded the latest update to Adobe Table (3.04)
• Save your tables as EPS, then use File>Place to bring those EPS into PageMaker.
•Do not copy/paste or Insert Object from Table to PageMaker. You may experience moving, cropping, or disappearing problems when printing using a postscript printer.

Iechyd da! John
22:59 14/04/03 BST

John,
The problem with saving the table as an EPS, is that you cannot modify the table at will from the pmd document, as you can when saved in the .tbl format and inserted. I have yet to experience the problems that you mention when using a PS printer, rather the contrary, I had more problems trying to export the table as an EPS! Go figure...

Cyberboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back