Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adobe Premiere audio capture problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

phunkymonkey

Technical User
Feb 2, 2005
GB
Hello

I am having a small nightmare trying to work out what is wrong here.

I am trying to import some footage shot on dv tape onto my hard disk. I'm running:

Athlon XP3200+ 2.2Ghz
1GB RAM
ATI Radeon 9200

I have installed Adobe Premiere Pro 7.0 as I should have done, and the dv camera is hooked up to the firewire port as it should be. the dv tape is sitting pretty in the camera, the scratch disk is big enough, the capture settings are set properly (i've been a busy google boy) so I press F5 and then start to capture - the sound is jerky, like a poorly encoded audio file with blanks and stutters. so somewhere i haven't set something correctly.

Thought process was:

listen to audio using camera. AUDIO WAS FINE
try another tape, was the audio jerky when captured? NO
use another firewire cable. NO CHANGE
restart premiere. NO CHANGE
restart system. NO CHANGE

so, i was wondering if one of you chaps could let me know what i have missed because i'm buggered if i know. I have edited with premiere for the last 12 months (i'm a 2nd year media technology undergrad) and i have never encountered this problem before. the only thing that i can think of is that the footage on the dv tape was recorded using long play (i didn't shoot it, normally i do sp to be safe. i don't know why, it just feels safer...) but i can't think of a logical reason as to why that would be the problem.

please don't say it's the tape. a little voice in the back of my head keeps telling me it's the tape. its really important footage..

thanking you all in advance

phunkymonkey

When are you judging sound quality? During capture at the computer end?

Premiere prioritises capture to disk and offloads other activities like screen updates and audio if bandwith is limited for any reason.

If the problem is detected whilst monitoring audio using the computer during capture, it would be worth checking the captured file in case (as is quite likely) the audio is all right after all.

Another thought: If the capture is of a tape recorded with 32K audio, you might possibly want to try the other audio channel (camera selection, not Premiere) in case your camera replay is on mix and thus disguising the problem. (Premiere will only capture one of the two parallel stereo tracks at 32k.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back