Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adobe PDF Settings for a Distiller

Status
Not open for further replies.

soules

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2007
AU
Topic
Adobe PDF internal settings

ben soules - 10:35pm Jun 21, 2007 Pacific

I am using Acrobat PDF Maker on an XP workstation, service pack 2.

Q: Is there a way to set the print settings to a default so I don't have to reset them each time I print to .pdf?

For instance:

Printers and Faxes - Adobe PDF (Properties)

Adobe Properties -> Advanced - > Printing Defaults.

Each time I use Adobe PDF as my print driver I have to go through the Properties button, Uncheck the 'View Adobe PDF results' check box, Change the Adobe PDF Page Size settings, select the Layout Tab then the Advanced button to adjust the Print Quality to whatever dpi setting I need, etc... I have looked through the manual, the online help, the .ini file and the registry settings but do not find a way to make these permanent defaults. Does anyone have the solution? Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply To This Discussion | Back to Topic List | Bookmark | Change Subscription
To start a NEW discussion click on the Back to Topic List link and select Add Topic.
If you are in an archive forum please go up to the main topic list (archives are read only).

Messages 4 messages. Displaying 1 through 4.
First Previous Next Last Show All Messages

William A. Davis - 11:32pm Jun 21, 07 PST (#1 of 4)

I generally do not use PDF Maker and had thought that it drew the defaults from the Adobe PDF printer. It may do that for some of the settings, but for the question you asked they did not come from the Adobe PDF printer. (I am noting the properties in AA7, not AA8.) The manual indicates that if you make changes in the PDF Maker preferences, they hold for future runs. Some of the properties apply only to WORD and some to PDF Maker in general.

To follow directions, I unchecked all of the boxes on the source tab (only the attach WORD box was unchecked and I did not change) and closed both the preferences and WORD. When I reopened WORD, the unchecked boxes remained unchecked. I the reversed the process and go back to where I was. I guess that answers how you used to do it. I would assume that AA8 works the same. I did not try to see if the universal changes were made to Excel or such, but that is what the manual says.

Post Reply | Bookmark

I would very much like to be able to programmatically change the Adobe PDF Settings for a Distiller like printer (Distiller-like in the sense that I have created my own printer on a PDF port using the AdobePS Acrobat Distiller driver). I figured this could easily be accomplished by changing registry entries. Unfortunately even after changing the regisry entries for the options (ViewPrintOutput, AskToReplacePDF , etc), the Adobe PDF Settings dont reflect the change. i must be missing a hidden entry somewhere. Listed are the reg entries I found:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers\MY PDF Printer\PrinterDriverData
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\MY PDF Printer\PrinterDriverData
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print\Printers\MY PDF Printer\PrinterDriverData

I know these are the entries because when I manually change the settings from the printer, I can see them reflected in the listed keys. Has anyone tried to change these values? Am I going about this all wrong? I realize there are API call for PDF and the documentation exists for them, but I don't have the brain power to figure it out.

Or if there is some kind of VB example to change these Adobe PDF Settings I would be forever in your debt!!!!!
Thanks

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back