Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adobe PDF Menu missing in Word 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgreen39

Technical User
Oct 29, 2009
US
Win XP SP3, Office 2003 SP3, Adobe Acrobat Pro 8.0.
The Adobe PDF menu is missing from Word. However, the PDF icons are present in the tool bar. Without the PDF menu, I can't set the PDF conversion settings for Word -> PDF.

Any help is appreciated.
(Note: The Adobe PDF menu is present in Excel)

Thanks, Bob

[red]Two thing to look for:[/red]

[ol]1. Check to see if adobe.dot is in the word startup folder.(C:\Documents and Settings\User_ID\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP) Hopefully it's not Adobe 7 that you are using.

2.In Microsoft Word go to [blue]Help; About Microsoft Office Word; Disabled Items[/blue] and see if PDF is one of the disabled items and enable it.[/ol]

Canadian eh! Check out the new social forum Tek-Tips in Canada.
I should live a long time - I eat a lot of preservatives.

I'm running Adobe 8.1.3

1. adobe.dot is not in the STARTUP folder. Also, I searched the entire C drive for adobe.dot and did not find it.

2. Word shows no entries in the Disabled Items list.

Note: In the Add or Remove Programs list I have Adobe Acrobat 5.0 but no Adobe Acrobat 8.0, even though I have 8.1.3 running on my machine. Could this be a problem?

If you are running anything higher than 6.0 try looking Graham Mayer site. He has a solution.

I looked at the Graham Mayer site and he has some information on missing Adobe PDF toolbars, but nothing on missing a missing Adobe PDF Menu. In my case I am missing the menu but I have the Adobe PDF toolbar.

Make sure that PDFMOfficeAddin.dll is located in the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\PDFMaker\Office folder. If the file is missing, reinstall Acrobat.

Also try re-registering the dll

Comprehension was not my strong point in high school. While I did see that you have menu in Excel... it did not ring a bell. Try renaming your normal.dot That may be all you need.

I found PDFMOfficeAddin.dll in the right folder and then I re-registered it. No help.

Next, I renamed my Normal.dot to Normal_A.dot. Again no change. The Adobe PDF menu is still missing.

End of the road for me.

Thanks for your help. If I ever get it working I'll let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back