Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adobe InDesign file translation

Status
Not open for further replies.

stefanobernardi

Technical User
Jul 27, 2015
IT
I've worked with InDesign for several years, on different types of publication (such as user instructions, operational manuals, product catalogues, brochures, etc.)
During this experience, I've wasted a lot of time on copy-pasting translations into InDesign files.
Have you already faced this problem? How did you solve it?

I’ve developed a software to automate part of this process. What features do you think would be helpful?

Forget about self-developed software for this.
Export the file as IDML. Most CAT tools (Computer Assisted Translation software) can handle IDML, and you can simply open the translated file.

"Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family." (Kofi Annan)
Oppose SOPA, PIPA, ACTA; measures to curb freedom of information under whatever name whatsoever.

Generally CAT tools are really difficult to use and you need to get a course to learn how to use them, and often they don’t manage idml files properly.

I’ve already developed this tool which is focused on InDesign only.
This is how it works:
- the user uploads an IDML file
- the software imports all the sentences
- the user (or his translator) can translate the sentences in the integrated software interface (the user can also export the sentences and import the translations through an Excel file)
- the software generates an IDML file in the new language with the same styles and layout.

Of course, all the translations are stored in the tool and you can reuse them in your future documents. Other features are integrated communication and automate emails.

Stefano

In short you have created your own CAT tool and IDML processor and claim it is better than ones that have been developed for 20 or even 30 years (including StoryCollector or INX processes)?

CAT tools are software. All software needs to be learned to use at first. Not different with your tool. A professional translator usually does work with CAT tools so the learning curve there is very shallow. Also they usually do handle IDML properly provided the file has not been handled across various ID versions, which would probably make it pretty messy in general.

If I read your post correctly, you do not have a question after all but want to market your tool here?

"Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family." (Kofi Annan)
Oppose SOPA, PIPA, ACTA; measures to curb freedom of information under whatever name whatsoever.

I haven't said that my software is the best.
I can say that it fits my needs and that I am improving it day by day asking people what is their experience and how they have solved this very issue.

I've already asked some translators (~200 people) what they think about the CAT tools they use. Some of them - you are right - are satisfied by their tools, but others find CAT tools too difficult, and too much time-consuming when you have to start a new project.
I am not saying I know better than other, but I think that there are plenty of rooms to improve the market offer.
Plus, as you said, the learning curve for new software is sometimes steep, and we are working a lot on the UX so that it’s really easy to start working with it.

You mention CAT tools, but our focus is more on solving the problem of managing document translation projects of any size.

The questions that I’ve asked in the first post are the same that we constantly ask people who work on Desktop Publishing and, of course, to our clients.

Stefano

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back