Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adobe Acrobat Reader 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobLaw

Programmer
Oct 2, 2000
US
Hello,

I am looking for some information on adding detection for Adobe Acrobat Reader on a users system during the startup of an application. I have a user interface made so they can view various PDF files on a CD, but I want to be able to detect if they have the viewer or not and install it if they do not.

If you know how to do this or a good place to look for this information please let me know.

P.S. I also posted this in VB Classes/Modules, sorry if I should not have.

Thanks.

You could try looking for the Acrobat Reader key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ADOBE in the registry, or you could try seeing whta .PDF is associated with in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.
This would need the use of the Windows API.

James :) James Culshaw
jculshaw@active-data-solutions.co.uk

Thanks, I think that using the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and look for .pdf (Default) "AcroExch.Document" is the best way to go, do you agree?

You do not need to do any of this. If you are using the pdf.ocx control in your user interface, then when you use the package and deployment wizard to distribute your application, the control will be included in the set up and it will be installed on the users computer if they do not have it or if they have an older version.

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back