Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADO vs. DAO 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
Aug 2, 2003
US
I heard a lot of discussion between the microsoft strategy regarding DAO and ADO. My questions is very simple. With access 2000 and 2003, which object access is the best option. Or if you have to develop a new access system and/or platform which one should be used. Also, I heard that DAO will be faced out shortly by MS.

Suggestions and/or comments appreciated.

Use both:
DAO for Jet bases and form's recordset.
ADODB for another database engines.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Something else to consider is that ADO recordsets are read only when used in an access environment.

A quick glance at the help files, and some of the threads here, should hopefully convince readers that one can get updateable ADO recordsets when working with Access/Jet

Roy-Vidar

Leave it to Microsoft to say something is not possible when it actually is with the proper coding. My bad for not being as informed as I should have been.

As for DAO going away, I don't see that happening with all of the apps that are out there currently using DAO. I don't see it as something that would go away overnight, but maybe phased out over a long time period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back