Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADO Refresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctussey

Programmer
Sep 17, 1999
US
I'm suffering a terrible slow down when I use the refresh command with my ADO control. <br>
Any ideas on how to get around this or what may be causing it? I happens when I'm connected to a NT box with SQL Server and then through the Novell Network going to Access.<br>

This has nothing to do with the ADO control but if tables are not indexed on the fields they are sorted on all retrieves are unusually slow.

Oh my <br>
I had this same problem at a clients once.<br>
I think it has to do with Novell an NT on the same network hubs and all of the protocols being used.<br>
See when you load the Access database it is taking a copy across the whole network and storing it in memory.<br>
<br>
Try this it’s one so-so solution.<br>
Copy your .mdb to your local c:drive for a minute and run it see if it's any faster, it will probably lightning fast.<br>
If so <br>
while its still on your c:drive<br>
Use the &quot;Database splitter&quot; under &quot;Tools&quot; &quot;Add-Ins&quot; to remove the tables from your .mdb.<br>
It will create a file with &quot;_BE&quot; after the name which stands for Back End <br>
This file has just your tables.<br>
The tables will be attached instead of being in the local .mdb<br>
Save it somewhere on your server when it asks to make it.<br>
<br>
Now you will have the code and the forms etc. on your c:drive but your data (tables) will be on the server to get backed up etc.<br>
If it is a multi-user .mdb copy the local copy on your c-drive out the server than copy it to each local machine.<br>
<br>
Hope this Helps<br>
DougP<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back