Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADO Passthrough Query Order-By Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmassey

Programmer
Feb 7, 2003
CA
HI

I am connecting to a table on an AS400 server using the following code:

cn.ConnectionString = "Connect=ODBC;DSN=AS400 AMFLIB;UID=;PWD=;"

rs.Open "Select ITNBR, ITDSC, UCDEF FROM AMFLIB.ITEMASA ORDER BY ITNBR", cn, adOpenDynamic, adLockOptimistic

My problem is that the query is passed to the server and the recordset is sorted in the sortorder that the server uses. I need to have the recordset sorted in the order that access 97 uses.

Can I create another recordset based on the first somehow?

I could do this in access by linking to the table on the server, and then creating a query to sort the results, but I need to accomplish the same thing in code.

Thanks, Derek

You can use the ADODB .Sort property to "resort" the resultant recordset. However, the recordset needs to be opened with a client side cursor:
Code:
cn.ConnectionString = "Connect=ODBC;DSN=AS400 AMFLIB;UID=;PWD=;"
cn.CursorLocation = adUseClient

rs.Open "Select ITNBR, ITDSC, UCDEF FROM AMFLIB.ITEMASA ORDER BY ITNBR", cn, adOpenDynamic, adLockOptimistic

rs.Sort = "ITNBR, ITDSC DESC" [green]' to sort by ITNBR and ITDSC descending[/green]

Mark

"You guys pair up in groups of three, then line up in a circle."
- Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach

Thanks, Mark

That was exactly what I needed. I hadn't thought of the client side cursor.

Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back